Friday, November 29, 2013

Celebrating Thanksgiving Day with Special People


We celebrate Thanksgiving day every fourth Thursday of November, it is a national holiday in the U.S. and one of the major holidays just like Christmas and New Year. Thanksgiving is a part of the broader holiday season. It was during the Civil War when President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Fathers who dwelleth in the Heavens and also a day of giving thanks to the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Prayers of thanks and special thanksgiving ceremonies are common among almost all religions after harvests and other times.


It is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a special meal. A turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables are always present in the table of every home during Thanksgiving day. In some cities and towns thanksgiving day parades are held, it also marks the opening of the Christmas shopping season. It is also a very popular time for trips and to visit family and friends because of a four day weekend, people have more time to spend with their loved ones. Today, I have received a very special gift from my best friend, it is an orange anthurium in brown embossed tin container. I wasn't expecting for any gifts from her because she told me that she can not visit me this Thanksgiving day because she will be spending it with her family. But, I was shocked when she entered the house and she even bought a gift for me.



She notice that lately I have been more interested in plants compared to any material things so she bought me something that I could treasure for a very long time and that she would check on it every year on Thanksgiving day. I promised her that I will take care of it and make sure that it will grow and bloom beautifully. This Thanksgiving day was made extra special because of the gift plant that I received from my best bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment